Re: Grrr [OS2 and XY install]

August 9, 1995

Well, I thought I would jump into the fray as well and add a few
comments myself. Jack Shafer started this off by writing:

>Don't torture yourself over the failure to install OS2 on your
>rigs. I read today that IBM's own Aptiva line has a difficult
>time digesting the operating system. Me, I spent three months
>trying to install it on an Austin 486/50 with no tweaky boards.
>Installation/compatiblity seems to be the Window 3.1/95's one
>excelling virtue.

I don't think it is torturous to install OS/2, I have had quite good
luck with it since I began using it. I will admit, I have crashed it
several times, enough so I needed to reinstall it. However, during
day-to-day use, I have rarely had problems and I certainly haven't had
near the trouble with OS/2 as I have with MS DOS and Windows.

I agree, you can install DOS/Windows on anything, but that doesn't
mean that it will run, or that it won't systematically consume your
hard disk and data files.

Then James Besser chimed in and wrote:

>Yeah, the OS/2 devotees are living in some kind of fantasy warp.
>It *is* a terrific OS--if you can get it to work. Many people
>can't, and it's not because we're complete idiots.

No offense, but I have yet to meet one in the flesh. (Now watch, I
have opened my big mouth and the Fates will seek revenge on me for it.
 Poof there goes the easy OS/2 install ions I expell). I have heard
about this and I am not going to say that these statements are false,
but I haven't seen this and I have installed or helped install it on a
number of machines.

>More and more , I find myself returning to basics. I'm using
>XyWrite 3.55 again, with v. 4 for occasional use only; I
>"downgraded" from OS/2 to Windoze, and if I could just figure
>out a way to get faxes in the background with a DOS program, I'd

Actually, have you tried COMMit for DOS. It isn't great, but it does
run in the back ground, either that or DOSFax (Winfax people make it).
 I wanted to use DOSFax during my Desqview days, but it was hard to
come by here in the Great White.

And then Annie Fisher wrote something like:

>The flame war may go on, but the OS war is over. The 1 August
>1995 NYTimes business section headline told the whole story:
>  "I.B.M. Chief Concedes OS/2 Has Lost Desktop War

>"`Let's put it this way,' Mr. Barnes said. `I'm going to put
>Windows 95 on the machines in my house.'"

Actually Annie, if you bop on over to the news group
comp.os.os2.advocacy you will find a war raging across the netscape on
this very topic.

Some are saying that there was a retraction and that Gerstner was
taken out of context and so on. Others are saying that Peter Lewis
doesn't like IBM and wants to see them fail; therefore, writes
material slanted that way, etc. The thing is, when IBM actually
informs me that it is pulling the product (from the desktop market), I
will just keep a'crusing and hoping.

In many ways, I hope this is not true, as this will be the second OS
that was pulled out from under me, the first was DR DOS. If OS/2 does
go, I will probably have to start looking closely at Lynix, as there
is no damn way I am going back to MS anything.

Got my fingers crossed.

Carter Campbell
campbelc@xxxxxxxx
carterc@xxxxxxxx