HYPE! Sorry, I mean: HOPE! [was: Xy + Win98--any hope?]

TMP:

>If anyone out there knows how to get XY4 to run reasonably
>contentedly on a PC like mine, I'd love to hear about it.

If you've already tried but failed, then note that the problem lies less
with running the program than with *installing* it. The secret is first to
remove your CD-ROM drive (or, I suppose, anything similar, such as a DVD
drive), then to install Xy, and finally to reinstall your CD-ROM drive.

But why bother with XyWrite? If you wait just a few *hours* longer, you'll
be able to get a vastly superior and debugged alternative to XyWrite.
Here's the CEO of The Technology Group (XyQuest's worthy successor):

Kenneth Frank, 23 April 1998:

>We are getting ready to press some CD's with the
>SmartWords beta product on it for distribution to
>anyone who would like to give it a try.

Kenneth Frank, 26 August 1998:

>What we are waiting for is the completion of some
>rather simple documentation we can include with
>the product, and then we will make it available.

Kenneth Frank, 15 December 1998

>As to SmartWords, I am embarrassed that it has
>taken this long to get the material together for
>distribution, but unfortunately the people who are
>responsible for the installs and related materials
>have been preoccupied with some major revenue-
>producing deliverables. I am pressing to get this
>released, however, and in the meantime have also
>arranged with our vendor to offer a full set of new
>import-export filters as part of the package. Since
>the holidays are upon us, we will commit to making
>this beta version available in January.
Peter Evans