Re: Is Alt+Enter not assignable?

** Reply to note from "Yo Intl."  on Wed, 31 Jan 2001
16:53:16 +0900

> I just noticed that Alt+Enter toggles between Window and full screen mode,
> although in the keyboard file, this combination is assigned the normal line
> return code.
> Is this hard-coded inside Windows, or is it a XY bug?

Hard-coded. Whatever you have assigned in your KBD file is
overridden. You can disable it in Properties, but I'm not sure
whether that will re-enable your KBDfile keystroke -- give it a try.
But then, where/how do you remap the FullScreen-Window toggle? I'm
looking at W95 right now, and I don't see a facility that does that;
in W95KernelToys there's a remap utility, but as I recall it only lets
you change about four keys (or maybe eight, I forget), not including
this one -- nor the one I want to kill above all, which is Alt-H. The
problem is, the keyboard device driver in Windows doesn't seem to have
complete control; many programs do what they bloody please. So even
if you reassign e.g. Alt-H to NOT summon Help, some programs are just
hard-written to the defaults, and ignore remapping (this was true for
me under WNT and NBWin). What a crock.

It's OS-dependent, e.g. in OS/2, the FS-Window toggle is performed by
Alt+Home.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx