cross-file searches

Assuming we can use va$se to keep just the word searched for, not also the
*.*, wouldn't it be valuable to change the (plain, unshifted) "o" key in the
.kbd file to execute a search for va$se? The difficulty is that when you
type "hello" you don't want the o to wend off to the CM line and do a
search. So, is there some test for which of two states one is in--responding
to the cross-files-search's prompt vs. not? Some VA or whatever?

If someone can figure that out, we can exorcise this problem once and for
all--hitting "o" for open would then (transparently) mean: "o" for opening
and going to an occurence (hopefully the right one) of the search-word in
that file.

Short of that, we could use any available shifted state of "o" to do it,
perhaps altering the prompt of the cross-files search. BTW, how does one
alter Editor.exe's prompts?

Regards,

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx