Re: XYWRITE digest 2810

XYWRITE: Xywrite Word Processor for Dos & Windows wrote:
XYWRITE Digest 2810 Subject: Re: XY Under Vista From: "Patricia M. Godfrey" Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:58:41 -0500 To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx William E. Shawcross wrote:
I have installed XyWrite III Plus, Ver. 3.55, on my new Vista machine and it appears to work just the same as it does on my XP machine.
Abigail, my smelling salts! Seriously, I am extremely surprised. Would you consider trying Xy4? You can get everything else from Bry's site, and the Y2K editor.exe from XyWWWEb. Or I could send you a zipped installation (now that I have a clean one). IIRC, some people had III run fine under XP but had problems with 4 until they did some tweaking. And please, what brand? what BIOS? What VGA card? How much RAM? Which version of Vista?
I have Xy4 (original distribution, and Signature as well) but never cared for it -- the WYSIWYG implementation sucks in my humble opion, and I'd rather rely on my memory of fonts for letterwriting, and for longer documents I usually import the text into Ventura Publisher 8. So ... I wish to beg off trying it. The machine is one I assembled myself. The motherboard is an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 dual core 2.66 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM. I just bought it from TigerDirect.com, so it is whatever version of the BIOS that is currently shipping. The graphic aadapter is a BFG GeForce 7950 GT with 512 MB memory. I'm running Vista Home Premium (OEM). Actually, at the moment I'm not running anything on that machine -- after a week the power supply appears to have given up the ghost.
I have installed XyWrite III Plus, Ver. 3.55, on my new Vista machine and it appears to work just the same as it does on my XP machine.
Thanks so much for the report, Bill. You don't perchance run Tame do you? Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx
No, and I don't have it. I must confess to using Micro$oft Word 2003 for anything really fancy (like 16- or 24-page newsletters with dozens of pictures, ads, etc.) Even though it is somewhat more opaque than Ventura Publisher 8, I find it easier to deal with -- at my skill level with VP it is sometimes hard to make local changes without having them propagate throughout the document. (I was most comfortable with VP 4.2, the last version before Corel started in on it.) Bill Shawcross -- Visit my web page if you are brave of heart -- http://www.shawcross.net ~~ Feudalism: Where it's your Count that votes. ~~ Age is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all of its students.