Re: Cursor Moves

N. Sivin said:

>It is true that one can move by paragraph using PP and NP,
>but PP is unsatisfactory. If you are in the middle of a
>paragraph, it takes you not to the beginning of the
>paragraph, but to the beginning of the previous one. PP has
>no corresponding problem.
>
>Here is what I use:
>100=ni,cl,bc,s,e,b, ,|,wc,|,xc,cr

I tried this, but the WC search doesn't work, whereas an ASCII character
10 (linefeed?) *does* work (I'm using Xy3+).

One limitation of this approach is that, if your paragraphs are divided
by two carriage returns, You'll have to up-arrow twice. The PP function
automatically deals with multiple or single carriage returns. I suspect
mimicking this in XPL would take a fair amount of programming . . . (any
takers?).

Perhaps the solution would be to have two functions -- one going to the
beginning of the current paragraph, a la N. Sivin's macro, and one
skipping to the previous paragraph immediately, a la PP. Perhaps N.
Sivin's macro (with ASCII-10?) could be bound to Alt-UP, for "slower"
movement, and PP could be bound to Alt-PgUp, for "faster" movement.

Which is what I'm going to do. ;->

Shawn Harrison
Associate Editor
Tyndale House Publishers
shawn_harrison@xxxxxxxx
"The legal system is not fun, but it *is* an improvement
over duals and feuds." --Harvey Harrison, attorney