Re: XYDos & Epson Stylus Printer

Robert Woods wrote:

>     Does anyone have an idea how to find a XYDOS printer file that will
> correctly print to Epson Stylus Color Printer with the Speedo fonts. The
> printer has enough memory; I don't require any color. My only experience
> has been with Laserjet printers, which work just fine (for me) with
> HP-LJ2.PRN or HP-LJ2P.PRN.
>     I've tried hit and miss and so far have missed (and killed a tree or two
> in the process).

Hi Robert,

I do most of my day to day printing (text only, no color, minimal HTML) on an
ancient HP-LJ2. For color, photos or other graphics, web pages etc. I have a
second, color inkjet hooked up to LPT2. Actually, I have two of these: the original
one is an Epson Color Stylus 800, which is not one of their current models; then, I
had an opportunity to pick up the PostScript equipped LexMark Optra 40 at an
absurdly low closeout price, so I got one as a backup. (Nearly all of the consumer
level inkjet printers are made of very flimsy plastic, and you never know how they
may hold up. Nothing like the earlier model HP LJs, which were mostly metal and
built like a tank.)
The Epson is kind of slow, and much noisier than the LexMark, but it is noticeably
superior for graphics printing.

Of course, only one of the inkjets are hooked up at any given time. I had had the
LexMark in storage, unopened. When the inkjet cartridges ran out on the Epson, I
took it as an opportunity to set up the LexMark and put it through its paces. So, I
can't try out anything with the Epson again for awhile -- at least until I use up
the ink cartridges on the Optra 40.

A couple years ago, when they were more responsive to users, TTG pointed me towards
3 printer files that work for the Epson Stylus. They are definitely older .PRN
files (probably developed originally for earlier Epson models, such as dot matrix or
impact printers, but the same printer control codes are still being used); they may
be XY-3 drivers, though I have used them with Xy4DOS. One of these will do some
color text printing. If you like, I can zip these up and send them to you, just let
me know where. As to using Speedos, I'm not sure. The XY printing I did with this
setup was done sparingly and was pretty basic. I may have just used a couple fonts
that are built into the printer, and referenced in the .PRN file. This is something
I intend to take a closer look at, at a more appropriate time. For all I know,
other more learned folks here may even inform us that Speedos are intended for the
laser printers, with little or no applicability elsewhere.

Jordan