Re: Memory problems with XyDOS (4) under Win98?

I have run Xy4DOS without a memory manager other than what's available in Win 3.1 and later Win 95 (Load high, etc.). Xy4DOS seems to have an upper limit of about 4.2 megabytes before you get a bogus message that your hard disk is full. This is a known "overflow file" problem (i.e., the part of a file that gets paged out to disk and then brought back into RAM as needed). Dave E. has worked on it from time to time, but without releasing a fix. The problem also exists in XyWin 4.12 except that you just hang up without a message (at least that's what my computer did). The 4.2 MB limit is for total files open; I usually had just one file open at a time. What was frustrating was that I wanted to do certain XPL operations on 10 MB files and larger, but ended up having to learn perl to do it. For those non-professional programmers like me who think XPL is arcane, perl -- a lovely, logical language -- was even harder for me to learn.

(I no longer have a need to process any kind of file with XPL or perl, having gotten out of business
a few years ago.)

Bottom line: I think you should do fine with Xy4DOS in a Win98 DOS box for files up to about 4 MB.

Tim Baehr