Re: OT: Who said it?

"Daddy, what did you bring me that book I like to read out of up for?"

On Sep 4, at 5:49 PM, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Harry Binswanger wrote:
Puts me in mind of GBS's response to a letter that said, "Here is
> something out of which I hope you will get a kick."
GBS: "That sentence has the kind of foolishness up with
> which I shall not put."
First of all, would anyone of GBS's vintage have used the expression "get a kick out of something"? The OED supplement records the first citation for that phrase in 1928, so it's possible, but...
More important, this tale is usually told of Winston Churchill:
My Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (3d ed., 1979) lists it
under his name thus, "This is the sort of English up with which I
will not put" Attrib. comment against clumsy avoidance of a
preposition at the end of a sentence. E. Gowers, Plain
Words...
Of course, in neither example is there really a preposition
involved. "To get a kick out of" something and "to put up with"
something are phrasal verbs; the "out of" and "up with" are more
like separable prefixes in German than real prepositions.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx

David Auerbach