Re: Northgate Keyboards

MLS>Just curious - (Never hear about Northgate nowadays) How many of
MSL>you out there use a Northgate keyboard?

I use the Omnikey 102 on all of my machines and take it with me to the
client's site, if required. :-)

RH>The Omnikey/102 has the Func pad on the left, where it belongs.
RH>If anybody finds a source, I'd love to get 3 or 4, to store in
RH>the closet.
As of January 16, 1995, Northgate's address was:
		Northgate Computers
		141 North Jonathan Blvd.
		Chaska, Min.
		55318
and the Northgate Computer Systems numbers are:
		1-800-446-5037 - Technical Support
		1-800-5(or 3)48-1993 - Sales

I sent a board back there to have it fixed. They don't have the old "we
simply replace any bad keyboards" policy and the new warrenty is 3 years not
five, but as I understand it, they still sell the boards, among other
things. (A fellow I use to work with in Taiwan use to make peripheral cards
for them.)

AH>My fairly recent experience with Northgate keyboards wasn't so
AH>happy. I think the company's on hard times, though they do
AH>continue to sell keyboards through a handful of dealers.

They actually went through an "extensive" reorganization in December of '94,
so I can imagine that they had a bit of trouble.

AH>Also: The latest Northgates with the F keys on the left have the
AH>capslock key next to the A key, unfortunately.

You should be able to change this, if they are still supplying the "Cap
Lock/Ctrl" switch and keytops.

DS>I had hopes for Describe the tri-platform (OS/2, Win3.1,
DS>WinNT) wordprocessor and its 14 languages modes, but it doesn't
DS>work as cleanly as Xy despite The Herb Tyson's involvement
DS>with Describe.

I thought Describe packed it in? If they haven't who has it now?
Carter Campbell
campbeca@xxxxxxxx
Calgary Alberta
CANADA