Re: F5--and everything went black...

Thanks, Robert and Harry.
Same old drive path: C:\XY . This  computer is so far unTamed.

F5 was Q5,BC (I assume Harry omitted a comma) and I have since
tried both CC (same as F10, no blackouts) and GH. GH may have
caused one blackout in many tries, but I couldn't repeat it.
And I want that BC function so it's now 63=BC . The .kbd file
is a very slightly tweaked xy4-3.kbd .

Just to confuse things further, F5 (either as BC or as Q5,BC)
doesn't always make it go black--just once in a while.  When
I was twiddling it now it was perhaps one in 20 times. I
thought for an instant that it correlated with going to
Wordfinder (CTRL-T) and back out before F5, but then I was
also able to use the Thesaurus and F5 without a blackout.
Ditto for using the arrow keys to scroll through a file
followed by F5.

Because it does blank out the whole  screen, it may be a
Windows or hardware hiccup. This is a cut-rate HP computer
(NC 2400)  that's supposed to be sturdy.  (My beloved little
Sony TX650P is ailing after visiting one too many rock
festivals.)  A lot of  the HP's functions are "Integrated,"
which I presume means they are software functions rather
than separate hardware like a graphics card. It's also an
Intel  dual-core processor rather than the regular Intels
I have had on previous computers. My entirely uneducated
guess is that something XyWrite uses is doing double duty
for the display.

I'm no XPL adept, but the xy4-3.kbd file has been moved
from computer to computer with no  problems. The only
changes I have made  in recent years are some of Harry's
tweaks (se // on CTRL-F, double parentheses on SHIFT-9)
that have been working fine. The F5 assignment hasn't
ever been changed until now .

As I said, this is more a curiosity than a calamity.
For now,  I'd rather have BC and the occasional blackout
than CC on that key.

Jon Pareles

From: "Robert Holmgren"
In *windowed* Xy4, the *full screen* goes black.

What do you have assigned in
your KBD file to F5? Do you have a key that toggles between
Text and the CMline? Does that also black out? Are you using
Tame? ... you used the same
drive:\path on both old and new machines?

-----------------------------
Robert Holmgren
-----------------------------

From: Harry Binswanger
Subject: Re: F5--and everything went black...

Look in your .KBD file and see what's
after the first 63= that you find. It should be:

63=Q5BC

The Q5 part is for the spell-checker (IIRC).
The BC is the Blank-the-Command-line part.

If that's what you do have, try experimenting,
separately with each of these

63=BC
63=GH
63=CC