OT: Cloning a multiboot system

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 13:54:45 -0700 (PDT), J R FOX wrote:
>For the
>most part, these migrations have been successful,
>until rather recently when what I was trying to
>migrate has been complicated and perhaps overly
>ambitious. (18 partitions and 3 OSes, to a HDD twice
>the size, though not too surprisingly the only
>intransigent parties are the Win boot partitions.
>They clearly do NOT like being enlarged AND slid far
>down the drive, even though the relative order does
>not change.)

Over the weekend I successfully used DFSee 8.06 (www.dfsee.com) on a
ThinkPad T42 to copy an 11-partition, three-OS multiboot system to a
hard disk twice the size (80 GB to 160 GB). The OSes were WinXP,
OS/2 MCP2, BootOS/2, and SuSE 9.2J. The file systems were NTFS,
HPFS, ReiserFS, FAT16, and Linux swapfile.

Everything boots and works just as it did before. However, I didn't
try relocating or resizing the WinXP partition in any way, as I'd
heard (as you mention) that that can sometimes be problematical.

Just FWIW.

-- Stephen Carter
  scarter@xxxxxxxx
  Nagoya, Japan