Bug?

Michael Jasper said in a private message that may interest others:

> I noted what I would consider a bug in Xywrite: when using > the function
which allows changing the printmode of selected > text, the cursor must be
within the selected area to get the > proper results. Thus, e.g. if you select
3 words in a row > using the define word function, the cursor will now be on >
the fourth (unselected ) word, and hitting CTRL # will not > change the mode of
those 3 words. Have you noticed this, or > gotten around it at all?

I haven't been able to duplicate this mode-changing problem, although it does
happen if the cursor is a couple of words away from the defined block.

Actually one of the great advantages of XYWRITE over NB is that you can carry
out almost any function without completing the selection (i.e. you only have to
press the select key at the beginning, move the cursor to the end, and give the
command). That is even true for printing a block. If I want to change the
mode, I don't complete the selection first, which means the cursor is at the
end of the block and the change of mode is unproblematic.

I don't have a solution to the problem, but I am not sure it could be
considered a bug. It will be interesting to see what TGI thinks.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325