Re: XyWrite and TeX

Martin J. Osborne wrote:

Of course it makes sense to recommend XyWrite. Those people who are having trouble getting it to run under XP are simply not following the instructions that have been given time and again on this site.
It runs, but on my system (W2000): 1. Cursor movement and scrolling is not completely smooth.
In a window or full screen?
2. Some events (I haven't determined which) trigger the NumLock to flash on and off rapidly and cause cursor movement to slow down significantly.
I believe Carl's instrux on renaming certain keys in the keyboard file take care of that. Maybe not. They certainly worked for me.
3. A flashing additional "cursor" appears at startup (on my system, at least) and after some exits to DOS (which I do very frequently).
In a window or full screen?
4. Calling a file from a nondefault directory isn't possible if that directory has the archive bit set.
As the immortal Henny Youngman would have said: "I went to the doctor and I said, 'it hurts when I move my arm like this' and the doctor said, 'so don't move your arm like that.' " I.e., unset the archive bit. This too has been discussed and answered by Carl and Robert.
And how is it possible to get a copy of the program? (Maybe is *is* possible---I just don't know.)
Let's not go there. -- Leslie Bialler, Columbia University Press lb136@xxxxxxxx 61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023 212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup