Re: Code pages

Michael Norman wrote:

1. Cmd prompt: CHCP 850; 850 confirmed
2. With XY's root directory on the screen, va/nv la gives me 437.
3. With any open file, va/nv la gives me 850.
What about a blank screen? 437 or 850 there? Because what you're
reporting now is normal; that's what I get too: a DIR screen is
apparently the same as expanded mode for Language value purposes. But
you say that before you CHCP'd at the Command prompt, it used to
report LA=437, even with a file open? Now that I do not get, on any
version of Windows, all of which are currently with the DOS default of
437. That is, CHCP at a command or cmd prompt reports 437, but Xy
gives LA=850, unless I'm looking at a dir or am in Expanded Mode.
From which I deduce that Xy overrides the DOS default CP setting with
its own LA setting (distinct from $CP, which will follow DOS), though
there are probably good reasons to set the DOS default to 850 too (as
Robert reported that he does; see post of last month, quoted by me a
few days ago).
But Jordan has told us that he gets LA=437 when he has a blank Xy
screen (no file open, no dir, no nothing), and that is anomalous. Are
others getting that too?
Here's what we're trying to discover: what values does VA/NV LA report
under the following circumstances:
Xy: no file or DIR
Xy: file open
Assuming, that is, that you have Default LA=850 in settings.dfl and not countermanded elsewhere in your setup.
I really don't think the DOS/VDM CHCP setting has any effect on Xy's
LA value--unless someone tells me that changing one effects a change
in the other?
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx