Re: Printing XY3+ under OS2Warp

>Xy3+ under OS2 2.11 for Win printed great. Large files were spooled
>almost instantly and control of my computer returned almost
>immediately. However, this does not occur in Warp. My machine
>freezes or stutters as if I had no memory, yet i have 16MB RAM
>and a 30Mb swapfile. Is there some particular setting that will
>make the print file dump into the spooler faster? I print large
>text files and the wait is murder.

  In light of the two other replies offering fixes, I don't know
if this is much help or not -- they clearly old info that I
haven't seen before. But -- one of the two changes in Warp from
2.* are the fixed IRQ 7 for lpt1 is no more, but if you have a
sound card, and installed mmos2, when the installation takes
place, it defaults to irq7 for the soundcard driver (at least for
the PAS16) and you have to manually change it to elsewhere if you
don't want printer and/or soundcard problems. And every !#$ time
you do a selective install of anything else later on, you have to
go thru the same procedure, or it will change it back again. I
discovered this when my sound card stopped working. In 2.0 and
2.1, the lpt1 was locked on irq 7, that is supposed to be changed
now, but I don't see that it really is, since putting my sound
card on 7 silences it, and nothing else is on 7.
  Also, OS/2 requires a parallel port that doesn't have inverted
irq sensing (a design flaw which was showing up largely in the
more pricey I/O cards), and also requires a printer cable with
all 25 wires, not just the 15 or so of cheaper cables. Unix makes
these same hardware demands also. Which gives people one method
of assuring themselves of having no compatibiltiy problems when
buying a new computer --- just demand one that comes factory
loaded with either Linux or Warp, you can change to whatever OS
you like easily enough afterwards, but you won't have any
incompatibility problems later.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx

We have found the Fountain of Youth in Asia!

=============
Microsoft Network, or any service owned in full or in part by
Microsoft, is prohibited from redistributing this work in any
form, in whole or in part.
Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1995. License to distribute this
post is available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or
local equivalent.
Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these
terms. Please send notices of violation to hseaver@xxxxxxxx
and postmaster@xxxxxxxx.