Re: Avant keyboard support package - UPDATED and SOLVED Win7 etc.

Yes, this is pretty much consistent with what I knew, with the exception of the W7/32 part.  That alternate idea from your paragraph #2 is another good one.

It is merely academic at this point, but I wonder if the always-excellent native DOS support inside OS/2 | eCS might have worked ?  I think my only system with that which is still functional is an older, rarely used laptop.  So, it would not be a particularly good choice for testing.  However, Arca Noae (a.k.a. 'Blue Lion'), a continuation of what had been eCS, is currently in Beta.  I may then eventually get a chance to find out.

   Jordan

From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2017 2:39 AM
Subject: Re: Avant keyboard support package - UPDATED and SOLVED Win7 etc.

Hello Jordan,

Just to clarify, the Avant does not need any 'drivers' once programmed
manually (see Faq) or by means of the Avant reprogramming software. The
compatibility issue is with the reprogramming program which needs a real
W2K, XP or Win 3.1/95/98 computer and US drivers for the keyboard
interface while doing the reprogramming. I did not manage to get any of
the virtual solutions to work. Once reprogrammed, you can use the
keyboard with any operating system that accepts this kind of keyboard in
the first place (any Windows version, Linux, OS/2, eComStation, or any
other system that accepts a PC-type keyboard). No drivers are needed!

However, there is a solution to the compatibility issue that I discoved
this morning. If you can boot your computer to DOS using a diskette or a
USB drive, you can use the Setup for unsupported systems (Windows 7
etc.) included in this version. It worked for me. USE IT AT YOUR OWN
RISK! It is fully documented in the UPDATED VERSION of the package.
http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/Avant_keyboard_drivers_and_documentation.zip

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)