Re: FTP, Ubuntu (combines two OT subjects)

peregrine@xxxxxxxx wrote:
For anyone else considering this, or considering Ubuntu installation alone, I would strongly suggest using the most recent LTS (long-term service) release -- at the moment, that's Ubuntu 8.04, aka Hardy Heron. Intrepid (8.10) is great, and has made many improvements, but some of its bleeding-edge components are unstable and may deter you from loving Linux as you might otherwise. This is especially true if you hope to work with video and/or audio, as there are always problems on the cutting edge of the real-time kernel required for those functions. Six months from now, most of those bugs will be resolved.
I agree, Jeff. Ubuntu 8.04 (8.04.1 preferred) has fewer compatibility issues at the moment than 8.10, and will be supported for a longer period of time. And if you need to appeal to YouTube users, Linux Mint 5 revision 1 is essentially Ubuntu 8.04.1 with enhanced multimedia support and some interface tweaks. (And Patricia can use partimage to image her hard drive in Linux.)

Paul