Editing symbol conventions for text documents

This query is somewhat off-topic, but the representation of writers /
editors on this list makes it irresistable. A referral to other suitable
resources would be fine too....

PREAMBLE:
I am developing a major bio-science web resource in which there is
manuscript flow akin to traditional publishing, but almost everything is
done electronically.  Where possible, I am trying to build from existing
standards, rather than re-inventing the wheel.

SPECIFIC QUESTION
Are there standards for annotating editorial modifications of text files
(in ascii format)?
Specifically, if I am editting an ascii document and want to show the next
reader/editor where changes have been made, how should I do so? I know
what the marks are for galley proofs, but not for ascii files.

For example, you could indicate deleted text like ≪bad text≫ and
insertions like ##new info ##

Stephen Shaw, MD                   SSHAW@xxxxxxxx
Chief, Human Immunology Section, National Cancer Institute
Editor: Protein Reviews on the Web
                 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PROW
Experimental Immunology Branch |National Center for Biotechnology
National Cancer Insitute    |   Information
National Institutes of Health  |National Library of Medicine
Bldg 10 Room 4B17        |Bldg 38A Room 8N805
10 CENTER DR MSC 1360      |8600 Rockville Pike
BETHESDA MD 20892-1360     |Bethesda MD 20894
Tel: 301-496-3626        |Tel: 301-496-2477 x222
FAX: 301-496-0887        |FAX: 301-480-9241