Re: file searching/vista help

Harry Binswanger wrote:
It has a memorable riff on Genesis, in which Adam is naming the animals, as God told him to do. He's naming them things like "four-legged down-under-hangerer" (cow).
That sounds as if the playwright thought Adam spoke German (not
that `cow' isn't Germanic: the Hoch Deutsch is Kuh, IIRC). I'm
thinking of all those German nouns that are really descriptive
phrases: `electric lightbulb' is a word that translates literally
as "glow pear"; thimble, as "finger-hat"; and glove as "hand
shoe." (At least, in the German I learned, going on 50 years ago.
It may have changed. Even then, the ISV 'telephonieren' was
supplanting the native "far-speak.")
Such names would seem to be the fruit of the same linguistic
impulse that inspired the skalds of old with such kennegar as
"the swan path" and "the whale road" (poetic terms for the sea,
if anyone didn't know and couldn't guess).
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx