Re: Display problems with notebooks

Re:
> I have a problem getting the DOS-based Xywrite to display as a full screen on
> my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4080, a PIII running XP Pro.

and
> I can't get the text to fill the screen when using full screen.

Which problem(s) are you having? A small screen in the center of your display,
or a screen that fills the upper half of the display only?

If small screen in the center, you need to turn on "screen expansion". What
you're seeing is a 640x480 VGA screen displayed on a screen with a much higher
native max resolution, like 1280x1024. There are two places to attack this:
the BIOS often has a setting for screen expansion, and additionally every
notebook I've seen has a keyboard toggle to turn expansion on and off --
usually a special "Function" key labeled "Fn" (or something like that), plus
F7, F8, F6 -- you gotta play around and try different things, the switch is
often undocumented or barely documented. But it is there! Ask the
manufacturer if you can't find it.

If your screen occupies the upper half of the display only, then its your
Layout settings. Make sure your program (XyWrite?) is running (it must be
running!), toggle into a Desktop window (Alt-Enter), RMB on the titlebar,
Properties==>Layout==>set Screen Buffer Size *and* Window Size *both* to
Width=80, Height=25 ==>OK==>Save properties for future windows. Now toggle
back into Full screen VGA (Alt-Enter), and you should see a normal VGA screen.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx