Re: Windows 7, again - tips and tricks

That may be a good approach, and then again setting up a W2K machine is
not that complicated either. Just a normal operating system setup. The
daily operation of VirtualBox W2K is made much more fluent by using the
great management application that comes with VirtualBox, e.g. to start a
virtual machine, make a shortcut like this: "C:\Program
Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" startvm "Windows 2000", this
opens the virtual machine without much ado. VirtualBox even suggests
making shortcuts from its menus.

I use a shutdown.cmd to end Windows. It is possible to save the open
virtual machine automatically with VirtualBox manager, like this:

:rem checks if VBox is on
tasklist /fi "IMAGENAME eq VirtualBox.exe" | find /I "VirtualBox.exe" > nul
if errorlevel 1 goto NO_VBox_SESSION
:rem if VBox is on, saves its state
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" controlvm "Windows
2000" savestate

:NO_VBox_SESSION
:rem otherwise shuts down the system
:rem Andrej Budja's shutdown 1.0 for Windows XP
(http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm)

C:\CMD\shutdown.exe -U -F

And to make it even better, use Tray Command line, the best shell
manager even for Win7 (http://traycl.chat.ru/). WK opens win2000
(I dragged the above shortcut to Tray Cmd Line to set it up), x
(link to shutdown.cmd) shuts down Win7 and saves state in an open W2K
session. It does not get better, believe me. I have been using this kind
of system since Win 3.1 (which had Praxim).

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx