Re: Dosemu practically full-screen

Hi Paul --

Are you happy with the result?

Actually -- I can't say I love the default VGA font, but fullscreen on a big monitor it will do -- while not having the giant bars on the netbook almost compensates for its mediocre looks.

Having said that, just playing around with the nonscaling xfonts that are available makes me curious to try the MS fonts out. However, I'd actually be more interested in the explanation than copying your fixed setup or trying it out blind -- I was getting ready to escalate to the dosemu listserv -- for one thing, I really want to know why these fonts never seem to register on my system, and I'm quite curious how you worked through it.

There is absolutely no urgency btw.

-Rafe

Rafe,

I've sort of hacked my way to a solution, if you want to try it. I got Andale Mono working in Dosemu on my netbook in Quantal, with a caveat. It's a real crude hack.

The core of the solution involves copying some files over from my desktop to my netbook; it might be all you need to do, or you might need to install some programs; I installed the programs and then copied the files, so I've no idea if just copying the files will work.

This hack seems to work OK, but I've hardly used Dosemu since doing this earlier tonight, so this solution is definitely "use at your own risk." no warranties.

To detail: I installed xfs, defoma, and x-ttcidfont-conf, and then copied over my /var/lib/defoma directory in its entirety, overwriting what defoma and x-ttcidfont-conf had created. The explanation for why I decided to do this is convoluted and not worth recapping. You can try doing just the copying and see what happens, or do the whole process. I tend to think you probably need the whole process; maybe you don't need xfs.

So Andale Mono now works, and looks pretty good, but the caveat is that Ctrl-Alt-F does not produce a true fullscreen on my netbook, but has those wonderful spacious borders. It may be an artifact of my netbook's screen resolution, or of my video driver, which is the X Org AMD driver. You may get different results. If you like Andale Mono enough, those borders might be less of an issue. It does give me a larger windowed XyWrite than I can get with any of Dosemu's VGA fonts (except of course for the basic scalable font, which I hate).

If you want to try playing around with it, I can send you a compressed defoma directory offlist, and will also send you info on how I tweaked the X_font line in my .dosemurc file. You may need different tweaks, but the rules for tweaking will be the same.

Paul