Re: 3 vs 4 keystrokes

"Patricia M. Godfrey" wrote:

> Wasn't there an option when one installs XyW4 to use the XYW3 keyboard if
> one wanted to? I didn't, since I use other programs that follow the CUA,
> and didn't want to get confused

I started with Xy II+, never liked or used any CUA, so I _did_ select the Xy3
kbd. default from the beginning with Xy4.

> Anyway, the out-of-the-box keystrokes for
> definitions in Xy4 are F3 to begin define, F3 again to end it, and ESC to
> release.

Are you using XyWin (in which case I have no idea what the defaults are) ?
Here, F1 begins & ends Define, F3 releases it. Always has, still does. My
KBD is heavily macro-tized, but some parts of it -- incl. most of the
native-state F-keys -- were left just as they came out of the *original*
box. Generally speaking, once I learned the basics of something, I didn't
mess with it.

> Use ALT-F3 if you're selecting columns, and SHift-F3 to extend
> the selection (two GREAT functions unknown to other apps!).

Maybe not what you were referring to, but I thought an xpl routine was needed
to move the boundary of text already defined, without having to re-do it ?
There was such a routine in the venerable PMKIT, later in SMARTSET, and I'm
sure the descendant of this carried over into the jumbo U2. Just one of a
couple hundred options I really should get better acquainted with.

Jordan