Date variables in Xy III

Is there any way to get a text date in Xy III (i.e., not the ≪DA≫ code
but the plain ASCII numbers of a date) in a purely numeric format (e.g.,
20031020)? XyIII won't save a date with SX; one gets "command entry
error." I've tried putting it in quotes, à la Carl's very, very helpful
examples--thanks, Carl; clearest discussion of this topic I've seen--,
saving it twice with ≪SV01≪DAyyyymmdd≫≪SV02,≪IS01≫≫, even loading
a printer file with a DF DA=yyyymmdd and then issuing Today. Nothing
works. I suppose one could use ≪IS01≫ and then typef, but one of the
reasons I'm trying to do this in XyIII is so I WON"T have to typef, but
can store the resultant file (in Xy 4, of course, stored files have that
dratted LOG code at the end, so they won't work as batch files, which is
what I want).
Patricia