Re: Another question

> On Wed, 26 Oct 1994, James Besser wrote:

Re:
> > BTW, I find XyWrite likes B&F and dislikes Software Carousel, while NB
> > likes SC and dislikes B&F. Otherwise, they're similar in principle.
> > B&F has more bells & whistles.
> > That's good to know. Everybody is urging the highest tech solution; I'm >
not yet convinced that the benefits will outweigh the costs and the > hassle.
How do you like ZyIndex, and how does it interact with XyWrite? > Magellan is
very nice, but it exports files in pure ascii, and they need > the line feeds
removed to fit nicely into Xy files...which is odd, > considering that I'm
*searching* Xy files. XyWrite's own search function

A nice thing about ZyIndex is that it handes Xywrite files just fine--no
translation necessary. It hides XY delta's, yet retains them when it exports
back to XyWrite. I use the 3.0 version of ZyIndex and prefer it to the 4.0
version. The former has nice speed keys for all functions
(like M for mark, S for Save). 4.0 abandons these in favor of Windows drop
down menus, and so doubles or triples the number of keystrokes needed for each
function. And of course ZyIndex is extremely fast and powerful.

One nice interaction between ZyIndex and NB is this: You can tell NB where to
routinely look for text files, other than in the current path.
When I find something with ZyIndex, I typically Mark what I want and save it to
a \tmp directory. NB will automatically find it there. So if I save "this" I
then call or merge "this" to where I want it in a NB file or window. I like it
so much I've stopped using Orbis with NB, in favor of the task-switcher and
ZyIndex combo.

Michael O'Brien
Lincoln, MA mto@xxxxxxxx