Re: Hello to Xywrite mailing list

Michael Luth wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly that the CTRL key must be to the left of the 'a'.
> That's where it is on my favorite writing machine, my old Toshiba T1910. My
> desktop at home has a programmable keyboard which which allows me to swap
> the Caps Lock and CTRL key. At work I use one of the Kernel Toys for Win95
> to swap the keys.  I don't know why they ever switched them around in the
> first place.

Michael,

Well now! You finally solved a mystery. This discussion has cropped up
de temps en temps and I could never understand what the fuss was about.
Now I know. Actually, though, I believe the modern-day full-size kbd has
the caps lock where I think it ought to be. That's where it always was
on typewriters.

But then again, when I have to help somebody who's working on a laptop,
I make _them_ work the keyboard. I cannot abide laptop keyboards.

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press