Re: xywrite and postscript

≪	When shopping for a new printer would it make more sense to go
with PS than something for which no printer driver currently exists? ≫
--Phil Ferreira

Phil--PostScript flat-out cures driver blues but is such a mystery
technology to most 80x86 users I've put together a rather exhaustive
xyW/PS hardware and software--and I have both--NAQ (answers to
never-asked questions):
	http://www.escape.com/%7Eadpf/_renew.html
As Doug testified, you needn't buy a PostScript printer to use a PS
driver with virtually any laser, inkjet, or dot matrix. Software PS/xyW3
integration can be seamless (mine is--via xpl of course): To preview
or print, hit a key, period.

I read here not long ago of "the near impossibility of adding support for
new postscript fonts" to xyWrite 4. That needn't be the case. A xyWrite 3
driver tables generator for PS Type 1 fonts is as close as ccat and
includes data to give a head start to any enterprising v4 user who cares
to port !t1_wt.

The same msg groaned about Speedo fonts, inexplicably heedless that
xyW4/software PS users willing to forego an editable preview can just
erase that Bitstream trash. Even if one uses hardware PS, a software
interpreter is worth having for the true, Type 1 fonts preview; the
benefit to xyW3 is obvious.

Alas, one must download a lot of totally unrelated stuff from ccat with
the Type 1 font engine. The good news: !t1_wt also is at
	http://www.escape.com/%7Eadpf/_t1_wt.html
It and the PS NAQ and other xyStuff are all organized coherently, I hope.
At any rate, you need download nothing you can't use. ... Ciao. 	--a

http://www.escape.com/%7Eadpf/ ===============================