Re: XPL: Things executing instead of displaying/printing

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Fri, 24 Dec
2010 10:07:07 -0500

Harry:

> also the GT/PV distinction. What is the back story on that?
> What's GT really doing, since it can execute a subroutine and
> yet can't deal with a S/G based on an expression? It's an
> idiot-savant.

GT is a string handler (puts a saved string at the cursor position),
with the additional, seemingly anomalous ability to execute
SUbroutines. PV also puts strings (one char at a time -- GT is much
faster), but its real strength lies in its protean ability to
execute code -- not just static, save-once-use-many-times
SUbroutines, but code manufactured at runtime based on user input,
user's current VA settings, data passed from a another routine, and
so forth. Extremely powerful. As I've said many times before,
Robert's CTRLCHAR.TXT (search for it at users.datarealm.com/xywwweb)
is Source One for information, including code examples, on this
subject.

Happy Holidays to all!

--
Carl Distefano