Re: New program: Request for testers

** Reply to message from "Robert Holmgren"  on Sun, 15 Feb
2004 11:36:29 -0500

Hmmm. Some tepid interest. Like Harry, I don't manufacture many long file
names for my own use -- I got dat 8 dot 3 habit. But they sure are all over my
machine, not of my making. And people send them to me constantly.

Let me list the limitations, such as they are:

You must be running the latest U2 (v116) -- that's essential.

You must download and strategically locate (ideally at the top of the PATH) one
307Kb file

Dir and filespecs cannot exceed about 60-70 characters (XyWrite won't pass more
than 100 characters total to the DOS command line, and these programs need some
of those characters internally). Using SFN's in paths can help shorten the
total length (less typing too)

Empty windows are required (although you won't ever see them). You can't load
up *all* your windows like Morris does and get this to work. I almost always
have lots of empty windows, and I imagine most users do too.

Required Windows Table:
-------- ------- -----
Require one empty window (in many cases, the native commands
  also require one empty window):
 ATTRIB
 CA
 CHDIR