Off topic: type

Many thanks for all your leads. The Linguist list tells me the standard
Word set doesn't include it, but also gave me a lead to a font that does,
so I will investigate all. Ironic, no? We can produce all sorts of
"foreign" accented characters (and don't get me wrong, that's a Good
Thing), but not our own ancestral characters. By the by, Linguist
(www.linguistlist.org) is a great resource for this sort of thing:
someone there graciously solved a problem in Italian use of accents for
me a few years back, and they have on-line dictionaries, of which Lewis
and Short's Latin one just now supplied me with much-needed evidence that
a Latin form that the author claimed to have gotten from Cassell's was
nonsense. (Yes, I know, awful sentence.) Thanks again.
Patricia