Re: off topic, but just a bit--DOS dictionary

Mark Garvey wrote:

> There are two ways to start the dictionary--as a
> standalone or as a TSR. In the past I've loaded it as
> a TSR. The command to run it that way is not working
> for me now.

I'm not sure TSRs are allowed in Win versions after W98. A number of
things (like RamDisks) were disallowed.

> It does run, sort of, in standalone
> mode--only problem is I can't close it..so have to
> reboot.

Most every program that runs under W2K | XP *should* be killable by
End Task, under CTRL-ALT-DEL. If something refuses to go away, this
is likely a bad sign.

A DOS program should not need to be installed (into Win) in order to
work. It is a matter of getting the right collection of files into
suitable location(s), then getting the Properties settings right. Of
course, there are probably a certain number of DOS and Win-16 programs
that are no longer compatible with the Dosbox of W2K or XP, for one
reason or another. But it does not sound as though this would be one
of them.

Jordan