Re: XyWrite to Go?

"If a word-processing lingua franca is going to develop for the
Net, it may as well be Xy. In fact, what WP is better-suited than
Xy to fill that need?
But better hurry. WP "applets" for Java exist already, I hear;
and hypercaffeinated hackers are tapping out more substantial
ones as we speak.
What's wide open now will soon be a crowded field."

Like Carl, I'm curious to hear how TTG plans to exploit this
unique new opportunity, Kenny. I think we'll see a cascade of way
cool applets before anything substantial materializes. A xyJava
like the one Carl describes could realistically become the first
serious applet. TTG's already blown the chance to establish
xyWrite early as *the* html editor with a full set of word
processor features. It still has a chance to field *the* html
editing applet.
Once the essentials are in place, features could be added
function by function as they're written.

Java has rocketed from nowhere to No. 12 with a bullet on the
comp.lang.* top-20 hit parade (number of postings), according to
a msg crossposted to comp.lang.* Friday. It's climbing so fast I
expect it to reach the top five, behind visual basic(s), C++, C,
and Pascal, within months. (I see that the very active NYPC C/C++
SIG has embraced Java as one of its own.) The best argument now
for the 80x86 32bit OSes--each a resource pig with no compelling
app that requires it and it alone--may be that Java requires a
multithreading environment, a feature heretofore of interest only
to techies who get off on stupid computer tricks. Not for long,
apparently. IBM is reportedly readying a win3 Java port for
release after the first of the year (one more clue that
Blue has thrown in the towel on Warp, since the damage potential
affects Warp no less than win95).

At the moment, TTG seems to be at the opposite end of the
continuum from MS:
"`The Internet is the primary driver of all new work we are doing
throughout the product line,' and `We are hard-core about the
Internet'" are NYTimes quotes from that Gates press conference a
couple of weeks ago). How much longer do you believe TTG can
afford to proceed as though an email address were an adequate
'net presence for a developer? The question is not rhetorical.  --

========================== annie fisher  nyc