Re: .pif vs. lnk

At 04:49 PM 4/13/2006, you wrote:
Patricia pulled together some of Robert's posts on this subject at http://xywrite.org/msg01161.htm
Hmmm. I got a "Not found"--looks like the server is down, temporarily.
search *pif and lnk* and look for Patricia's name.
Then when I see an icon that I can use to launch a program (DOS or Win), how do I know whether that icon represents a .pif or a .lnk? Or, putting it better, how do I know what kind of dialog with what kind of tabs is going to be under the Properties of that icon?
The WIN icons should all be lnk's, I believe. At all events, you can see all your lnk's and pif's by searching your HD for either *.lnk* or *.pif.*
How do I look at the file specs?
Search the HD for editor.pif. But if you follow the procedure I sent, it will only create a .pif.
Thanks, but this is the same dialog box with the same settings as I had before, and the same (mixed) results. Most importantly, not just the ctrl-j but even the arrow keys give bad output when held down (arrow keys put out 2, 4, 6, and 8).
I can't tell whether its the shortcut or TAME or something else, but here's how to eliminate the shortcut as a suspect. Open autoexec.nt and restore the TAME startup line, then, using your file manager, start XY by clicking on editor.exe. I did this and the TAME console came up fine. If you still get the anomalies you described above, then it's got to be something in the TAME setup or something else. Anyway, at least we can move past the shortcut issue. micheal.norman@xxxxxxxx