Re: RE Which Computer

Robert, thank you for taking the time to explain all that. Actually, I
think we were mostly intending the same point, except as regards EMS. If
I understand you correctly, you're saying that Windows sets aside a
block of RAM and "tells" the DOS app (or a DOS prompt session) that
that's the lower 640 K of RAM it's expecting. If you open another VDM,
Windows sets aside another block (anywhere in physical RAM) and says
THAT's the lower 640 K. And so on. And that what MEM (a DOS command)
reports reflects what it's been "told" by Windows. That was what I was
trying to say (but obviously didn't succeed in doing). But you say
EMS--or at least the 64 K window through which it is swapped in and
out-- is an exception to this legerdemain, being really, really the
block of RAM that it purports to be, and so the same for every DOS
session?
And, of course, dBase 5 was not a good vile body to practice on, being a
DOS Protected Mode app that requires at least a 386 CPU and 8 Mb of RAM.
But it was all I had.
What did I misspell that prompted "learn to spell"? Just curious. My
fingers often misspell words my brain knows very well (like
"disquistion"), but I couldn't find anything in that screed.

Thanks again, and sorry to have muddied the waters.

Patricia M. Godfrey