Re: Various virtual machines compared

>Kari, I have not managed to get XyWrite up on Windows 8,

If you are running Win 8, forget about DOS and Win 3.1. You could run them in principle, but
communication with the host system is problematic to say the least. So I think you should run XP in
Win 8 native Hyper V or Virtual Box. If you have a free copy of XP, install it and follow the
procedure for running Xy in XP.

>Also, FreeDOS is reported now to have been updated, and is officially
capable of running win 3.1. So maybe it's worth your having a look again?

Maybe. DOS and Win 3.1 are already fully tested and up to the task. I do not see the point of trying
as of yet. Admittedly FreeDOS has some nice features, and if the package fills a particular need
that is not covered by MS standard fare one might be tempted to try.

>I have forgotten why just running DOS is deprecated.

It is not, but for the bells and whistles, like screen lines etc. Windows 3.1 helps a lot. But you
do need Win 7 + Virtual PC 2007 with DOS additions for VPC 2004 to be able to do this. DOS is
obsolete in Win 8. Not supported in Hyper V. It is dead!

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx