Re: dictionary desk space

M.W. Poirier wrote:
 It's a question of "belt and suspenders," I suppose. ;-)

 I suppose it would be possible to merge the more complete
 autocorrect "dictionary" with XY4's PER.SPL "dictionary,"
 and have the best of both worlds.
Huh? Xy can already do that! "Auto-Check/Correct verifies your
spelling as you type. If a replacement word has been stored in the
temporary dictionary or in one of the personal dictionaries currently
in memory, it will automatically correct as well." (CRG, 3-82).
Of course, you have to include the "abbreviations" and their
expansions in your spelling dictionary. For example (all names have
been changed to protect the guilty), I have a .spl file I use when
writing up council meetings. If I need to refer to the borough
engineer, I type bdd and Xy expands that to Borough Engineer Diggory
Delve. In the .spl file there's an entry that reads
bdd Borough Engineer Diggory Delve
There are some traps for the unwary. You need to have a unique abbreviation. A new councilman was elected last Nov., with the initials ADN. I couldn't use "adn" for his abbreviation, because it's already in there to expand to "and" (that being a favorite typo of mine). And your abbreviation shouldn't be one you might use as a word. A former mayor had a surname beginning with a T; let's say Tolliver. Having entered
mt Mayor Tolliver
I found I could not refer to the Mount Laurel Decision (an important court case in NJ) as "the Mt. Laurel decision" (which one shouldn't do anyway; Mount Laurel is a town, not a mountain), or I would get "Mayor Tolliver Laurel."
Now if this program can give the capability to other, Windows apps,
fine, well, and good. But Xy HAS it.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx