Re: OT: IP address

Patricia,

≪But if I run ipconfig from a DOS prompt, I get 2 adapters, one of
which has nothing assigned and the other of which reports the same
number. So I assume (fully aware of flash's strictures on assuming)
that the "blank" one is the Modem/Dial-up Adapter, and the other is my
real NIC.≫

Does the blank adaptor refer to anything like PPP or PPPoE or maybe
PPPoA? If so, that's definitely your WAN link. PPP would be
point-to-point protocol, PPP over Ethernet, or PPP over ATM, which are
the three most commonly used protocols for clients clogging on to
service prividers over dial-up links.