Re: Does XyWrite have any future?

I came into the Xy fold late too - arriving in 2001. I have a DOS
background, introduced to word processing in 1986 on a Kaypro PC 8088
cpu, 256 RAM, 15 MB hard drive using WordStar 3.3. (talk about a
learning curve - anyone remember embedded dot commands) Later, in
graduate school I used WordPerfect 5.1. Wow, I wish I had know about
XyWrite back then! In 1996 I gave in to using MS Word - hated it but
everyone was requiring DOC format.
Why do I use Xy? I like the uncluttered screen that greets me in Xy -
nothing in the way of creative writing. I do a daily journal and my
rough draft writing with Xy. Xy creates in ASCII so export of its raw
unformatted data is easy. I guess there are probably filters to
convert a formatted Xy document.
I haven't had any trouble using Xy in Windows but then I am not a
power user as some on this list are. I use Xy via a DOS emulator on
my PowerBook OS X via DOS emulator Radnor and I use Xy via the
PocketDOS emulator on both my IBM Z50 and IPAQ PocketPC - It must be
able to work via a DOS emulator like DOSEMU on a Linux box. I quit
using Linux three years ago when Apple released their OS X based on
Unix.
It may always be a small group who use it - but I for one would be sorry if this program just disappeared for ever, completely forgotten, never to be seen again.
Yes, Xy will probably continue to be used by a small group,
especially as long as the 500 lb gorrilla dominates the gov. &
business world with its OS and Office products. Even if the current
owner(s) of the Xy code never touches it again, I don't think this
program will just disappear. While it may never be commecialy
produced again there will be those who continue to seek out and use
this excellent program.
And, let's be honest, copies of files to make an operational version
of Xy is just a matter of reading the right postings on the right
sites (present company included) make and Xy directory and/or e-
mailing the right person(s).