Re: Xy4 and U2 on a 286

Robert Holmgren writes:

> Unless Carl has already answered this, lemme ask: how much extra time is
the
> U2 "index" taking to load? I presume you are referring here to the
> XYWWWEB.INF file? Yes, there will always be a slightly longer pause than
> under the system we used before v085, because the
> INFormational frames, indices, tables, etc, have been removed from U2
itself
> and placed in a separate text file (XYWWWEB.INF), precisely in order to
keep
> XYWWWEB.U2 slim and trim, and to loosen our inhibitions about putting
> extraneous material into the informational frames.

Thanks to you both, Robert and Carl. I'll do a comparison if I can dig up an
older version of the U2, but meanwhile I can tell you that from the time I
execute the command until the time the frame loads fully is a scant two
seconds on a Cyrix 6x86 chip under Win98. On the 286 (again, running MS-DOS
5.0 because that is the last DOS version to support a 286), the load time is
1 minute, 46 seconds.

Apart from any inconvenience caused by that delay, the newer U2 is apparently
fully functional on the old 286. Even simple Xy commands like save and store
are a LITTLE slow on that primitive processor. It is handy for writing quite
literally in the field, though, and I can always do cleanup and final editing
later on the faster platform.

And thanks for dissuading me from disassembling the U2 to remove portions I
think I don't need. You are both right. I haven't time for such headaches!

Thanks for all your help.
Jeff Seager