Re: OT: NB as Xy

Reminds me of this tidbit of socio-linguistics. In English, the critter on the hoof is referred to in words of Anglo-Saxon origin: cow, pig, sheep. The same critter, cooked on the table, is referred to in words of Norman-French origin: beef (boeuf), pork (porc), mutton (mouton).
Because the English (courtesy of the French?) have some finesse. The
Germans, bless my ancestors' brutal hearts, ask the waiter for "pig flesh."

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx