Re: XY under XP: finding config.xy

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"
 on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:49:57 -0400

Patricia:

> the problem here is the meaning of "Working Directory":
> to me, that signifies the directory where the data files I'm
> going to be creating and modifying reside--usually somewhere on
> drive e:. NOT d:\xy4. But apparently the ONLY way you can CD and
> log onto D:xy4 is by setting that as the Working Directory

The "Working Dir" is where the executable, EDITOR.EXE, is
located. The purpose of a Shortcut is to launch an executable
-- in your case, EDITOR.EXE -- therefore you point the Working
Dir at the location of Editor. I'm feeling very tautological
saying this. The "Working Directory" has **nothing whatsoever**
to do with "the directory where the data files I'm going to be
creating and modifying reside". You manage that aspect in
STARTUP.INT -- Windows doesn't know, and doesn't care, anything
about where you choose to locate once you enter the XyWrite
realm.

You don't supply enough info to solve your problem. Where are
KBD/DFL/DLG/U2/etc? Whereever they are, use STARTUP.INT to get
you there! When you need to relocate to E:\PATH, where your
datafiles are, just move there in STARTUP.INT! BX e:Q2 BX cd
\pathQ2. And Done. It's so easy. The objective is to wind up
where you want to be.

> if the shortcut isn't on the desktop but only in
> editor.exe's directory, you have to navigate there (in Explorer)
> to click on it

XyWrite is one of your core apps. Right? You're spending hours
every day writing msgs about it. Why are you putting the
Shortcut to it in an obscure subdirectory? Put that on the
Desktop!

> shortcuts apparently HAVE to be on the
> desktop in XP

No. Not at all. It's just that in this case, for
aforementioned reasons, it belongs on the Desktop.

Look, I think we can cut through all this if you would give
succinctly ALL the specific commands you wish to issue, both BAT
and INT. Don't say "somewhere on drive e:" -- say exactly
where. I'll write the files for you, since this seems so
difficult.

The AUTOEXEC.XY that you specify in "Shortcut ==> Advanced"
**IS** a BATch file! All the stuff that you really MUST do in a
BATch file -- and there is very little of that -- can and should
be entered there. E.g. a MODE command. But otherwise, there
really is very little that you can't accomplish via STARTUP.INT.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx