re: printer drivers

Doug asked: ≪But I use a USB connector and I guess that means the LPT1
mode doesn't work. Can XY3.5 ever print through a USB connector?≫

Yes, it can, under XP or 2K. (At least, Xy4 can, and I should assume 3
could too). On 6 Sep 2003, Robert Holmgren detailed how to print to a USB
printer under 2K or XP from XyWrite4 DOS, thus:
≪
the simplest way is to set XyWrite up to print to LPT1, using an LJ4
printer
file; then allow your ... printer to be shared, determine the name of the
share (NET VIEW command will print it to the console, or goto your
printer ==>
Properties ==> Sharing ==> click "Shared as" ==> set or get the sharename
in
the box there), and then redirect LPT1 to the share, thus:

NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharename /PERSISTENT:YES

Just print normally from XyWrite to "LPT1". Should work.
≫
The printer, of course, must be PCL or Postscript compatible; if so, try
out the various HP or Post XyW drivers to see which give you the most of
what you want. As I determined by careful testing at the time, this just
won't work with Win 9x: only printers on other machines on the network
can be so mapped under 9x (which makes a certain amount of sense: NT and
its derivatives, 2K and XP, are real networking opsyses--well, as much as
any Redmond rubbish is; 9x doesn't even pretend to be).

Amen (if you'll pardon the expression) to Robert's comments about
creeping featureitis in M$ bloatware.
Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx