Re: saving to alternative disk directory

Raphael Tennenbaum wrote:
on the new desktop, a quad-core of fairly recent vintage, XyWrite
scarcely registers on the GKrellM monitors except when I switch in and
out of it. on the little Asus netbook, however, Conky shows spikes
and big CPU usage, and the internal fan gets excited quite a bit, no
matter what CPU setting I use in .dosemurc (in fact I'm a bit
skeptical about whether that CPU setting is even implemented). if I
get a half an hour, I'll see if I can scale it back with Tame.
I think it runs fine on my IBM X40, but I'll have to check -- I've got the Mint/Xfce version of 9.04 running on that. My desktop, from which I pulled the earlier results, is about 5 yrs old.
I am still on 9.04 on the desktop, Intrepid on the netbook -- just
only installed the desktop about 2-3 weeks ago, and it works very,
very nicely, and the last thing I need is for something to break -- as
a matter of fact I saw a report that some part of jPilot, a nice, lean
little program I use to link to my old Treo, doesn't work under 9.10.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend 9.10 -- though it does some things very nicely, there are a couple of bugs in Nautilus, including one that likes to move all my desktop links to the upper left every time I log on, and I'm very lower right oriented. Oddly, it's only the links. Folders, files, and launchers stay where you put them, so I converted all the links I wanted to launchers, which works fine, though it's a touch more effort to set them up. And Conky is turning out to be a hassle to run to, though that's undoubtedly some small tweak in conkyrc. I'll probably continue with Mint 6 as my main desktop.

Paul