Re: OT: Ultraportables--recommendation sought

The trick, I discovered, is to never boot. The only time I reboot is
when installing an update.

On Mar 20, at 5:40 PM, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Harry Binswanger wrote:
Oh-oh. I hate long boots. What speed processor do you have?
One of the reasons, I believe, that laptops are so slow to boot is
that they are 1) short of RAM; and 2) have slower hard drives than
desktops. The latter is with a view to saving power when the PC is
running off the batteries. The former is just to keep the price
down (laptop RAM is, IIRC, dearer that desktop DIMMS): this weekend
at a show and sale, dealers were offering 2d-hand laptops with 128
and 256 Mb of RAM running XP. I want 512 just for 98SE. I tired W2K
on a 256 box, and it took 15 minutes to boot.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx

David Auerbach