Re: XML/SGML

More on styles:

I can't give definitive answers without trying this out myself, but here's a scheme for
investigating styles:

Try fully-defined versus partially-defined styles.
Try defining a style at the beginning of a doc and in the middle of a doc.
Play with "empty" styles. I think you can have an unnamed and null-argument SS and US
followed right after it. It's a way of isolating a paragraph from other formatting, I think. (Maybe
they do have to have names; I don't remember.)

One way to make a document more portable is to have a fully defined style followed by a US of that
style at the top of the document. This "nails" the formatting. What's neat is that if you
use the defaults you have set in XyWrite, the other machine will adopt those defaults through that
style, but only for that document. That's what portability is all about. Of course, you have to be
careful that the other machine has the same fonts installed, or XyWrite may complain.

I think there's a lot you can do with XyWrite styles that hasn't been explored fully by most people
(including me) and was never really documented adequately.

Tim Baehr