Re: XyIII+ in WinXP

Thanks, Harry. I do like the looks of that screenshot. I'll be
experimenting with TameDOS. And, yes, IV, eventually.

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Thanks, Harry. I'll play around more with the windowed mode--and I'll check out TameDOS, which I assume I can find via the archive. Why do you prefer the window vs full-screen mode?
For one thing, with TameDOS, I can get a 43 or 50 line display in windowed mode. I've put up a screen shot (that includes some examples of bold, underline, and italics a la Tame) at: http://www.hblist.com/Tame-Xy.jpg But even without that, I feel "blind" when the screen is filled with XyWrite and I can't get to my other programs (except by alt-Tab). There are other benefits, such as easier access to copy-paste. XYWWWEB.U2, however, has a facility for copying-pasting back and forth between Xy and any Windows program. Indispensable.
I do own a copy of IV, and I may give it a shot again. At one time I was into XPL, but my interest now is pretty much purely in having Xy back as a writing interface--so, speaking from ignorance here--I'm not sure what advantages IV would bring in that regard.
One feature that's great is wildcards in search and replace (III has wildcards only in Search). Say you have paragraphs numbered thus: 1) Blah, blah, blah ..... 2) More blah, blah, blah .... 3) Ditto .............. Suppose you have 30 such, and you want to change the parens to periods. How do you do that in III? You either write an XPL program or you do 30 Searches for the wildcard for any number followed by a paren, then each time manually make the change of each paren to period. With IV, you can do one Change Invisible--here, I'm using N to mean the red wildcard for any number: ci /N)/N./ The meaning of that is: change any number followed by a right parenthesis to THAT SAME NUMBER WHATEVER IT IS followed by a period. (Now you'd have to take steps to make sure you're changing only the "hits" you intended to change, but that's a detail.) I think Robert Holmgren has posted on the advantages of IV over III+, but it might be hard to locate that in the Archives.