Re: [Poll] Sound support feature in vDos-lfn for XyWrite

Wengier,
I personally don't feel strongly about speaker support as my personal practice is to mute all beeps in XyWrite. However, given that SPEAKER=OFF solves the issue in XyWrite 3, it seems to me that vDos-lfn users who want the speaker option should be able to have it.
I say specifically "XyWrite 3" because in XyWrite 4 this is a
non-issue. The problem in Xy3 is that the Error Suppression command
(ES 1) is broken, and unusable in XPL programming. As a result, if you
want to avoid repeated beeping during program execution (as when
looping through a series of SEarch commands), you need to resort to
cumbersome workarounds, such as temporarily setting Error Beep
(default EB) to 0,0, then restoring the original beep setting on exit
from the program. In Xy4, ES 1 works. It not only suppresses any error
beeps, it also eliminates any wait time after an error is encountered
so that execution flows immediately to the next instruction.
Perhaps the best solution is to keep the SPEAKER setting, but make
SPEAKER=OFF the internal default. That way, Xy3 users will be
blissfully unaware of the problem (unless, of course, they set
SPEAKER=ON), and anyone who wants speaker support can have it.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx