Re: Search Programs

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:38:09 +0000, Carl Distefano wrote:

> don't really know, but I'd guess that any of the major search
>engines (Alta Vista, Excite, etc.) could be readily adapted to
>search a single site. Talk to tech support people at the various
>search sites -- they'll know. Good luck.

Yes, this is fairly routine. I have been to several large sites,
including some university and corporate home pages, which use
AltaVista, which I immediately recognize because I use it as my first
choice. I think they have simply put the AltaVista search engine on
their home pages, which Digital is happy with, and modified it to the
set of directories. I am pretty sure that the other search engines
have similar modes and are used the same way. Why not go to some
university homepages and look for one with a "Search this entire
site" button?

Jonathan
Jonathan D. Beard
Science Writer-Photo Researcher