RE: Windows registry cleanup tools - PowerQuest Drive Image

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> I don't see why not--the file that is running is in
> memory, isn't it? Why
> couldn't you copy the *files on the disk* that
> represent the OS? And aren't
> you implying that XXCOPY did that?

The latter day 32-bit OSes -- at least the ones I'm
acquainted with: can't speak to the rules of Linux or
Mac, which I gather is Unix-based -- have this
priveleged "ring" structure (think concentric moats),
and a concept of locked files. There are many things
you are just not allowed to touch, whilst they are
running. That is why it can be desirable to have
alternate boot partitions for each ("Maintenance"
Partitions), in order to do things with or to certain
files that would not otherwise be possible.

Jordan